This week I decided to try something different to show my progress in my major project for class. First I videotaped myself as I attempted to re-create the ‘Tree Ring Paint Pour’ method using Unicorn Spit paint instead of acrylic paint.
The next step was to edit the video, mainly to embellish it a little, and also to shorten it from 28 min! Waaaay too long! My 16 year old son rolled his eyes at me and proceeded to offer me assistance to download and use an awesome video editing app called, ‘Filmora 9‘ by Wondershare. This app is available for free download and super easy to use!
Once I finished editing my video, it was pared down to 5:47 min! Much better!!! Then I opened up ‘Youtube Studio’ and uploaded as an ‘unlisted’ video, to ensure it is only available to view if you have the exact URL. This works perfectly for use in this class, but stay somewhat private.
Main Thoughts: Technical Aspects
Overall the video was pretty easy to record, however I did buy a camera tripod stand from Amazon to make the recording process easier. I used an older digital video camera to record instead of my phone as my storage is getting glitchy on my phone so hard to record videos (time for an upgrade). My dog was a little bit ‘barky’ in the background so I decided to insert printed instructions in the video rather than using the original sound, and I also added music. The filmora app provides free music bytes for this purpose.
I definitely need to work on my ‘film presence’ as I tend to say ‘Um’ and ‘Uh’ a whole lot!!! I used one take to record the video – so maybe next time I could re-record the talking at the end of the video, rehearse what I’m going to say first. There was a bit of a learning curve to upload the finished video to YouTube because initially I couldn’t figure out how to convert the file format from the program app, to a YoutTube acceptable format like MP4 or MOV. After watching a handy YouTube instructional video on Filmora, I discovered that I needed to ‘export’ the video into a chosen file format (MP4). Once I did that, uploading to YouTube was pretty easy, and took about 18 minutes.
Main Thoughts: Progress in Using Unicorn Spit?
I would say that I learned a lot about using Unicorn Spit (US) paint this week. I was happy that mixing the US and acrylic paint was mostly successful! To re-create the class colors, I had to add in an acrylic copper paint. I also used 3 US colors: Blue Thunder, Midnight Blackness, & Dragon’s Belly Green. I wasn’t sure how it would end up! The two paint types mixed well with no major adverse effects, except for a slight ‘halo’ look once the painting dried.
I would have to use at least twice as much paint next time, to create the same ‘tree ring pour’ look. The final shape was definitely not round like the first painting. The Unicorn Spit paint was thicker than the acrylic paint used in the face-to-face class, so I diluted it with a bit of water to get the right consistency. US paint can be diluted up to 70% with water.
In my research, US dries to a dull color. This was evident in my painting once it dried. Apparently US will revert to brilliant colors once a finishing coat is applied, such as a polyurethane. One important tip is that I must use oil-based finish/varnish rather than water-based. US paint will ‘muddy’ if water-based finish is used. The class instructor recommended letting the painting dry at least 2-3 weeks before applying finishing top coat.
Please click on the following video to watch my creation.
Please stay tuned until next week, when I will attempt to paint a ceramic ornament using US!